To the question: “When do I need consultants?” - each manager must answer himself, based on his knowledge, experience and intuition. Generally speaking, a business manager needs advice when he/she thinks that the business results could be much better, but they cannot be obtained with inner resources. All enterprises, like people, are very individual and unique, but there are similar situations when the help of consultants is quite necessary:
- Lack of expertise. The knowledge and skills required for growth or any substantial change in the company's activities often cannot be obtained from the employees. Therefore, the organization appeals to consultants to carry out such projects or to solve the problems that have arisen.
- Lack of time. Even in cases where expertise exists on the inside, employees may not have time for complex projects that need to be executed in narrower terms. In such cases, companies contract the consultants to carry out the project.
- Lack of experience. The company may lack experienced specialists in a particular field. External consultants can fill these niches while looking for new permanent employees. Involving a consultant with experience in similar projects could be a solution to solve the problem much more quickly and efficiently than trying to force employees who have not faced such a problem before to do the same job within a limited time.
- The flexibility of the staffing structure. Consultants may be contracted for a short period of time for implementation of the project. When work is done successfully, the organization can quickly and easily stop the relationship with external consultants.
- The need for an objective and disinterested opinion. The independent legal status of a consultant gives him impartiality that is considered as one of the main values of the external consultant.This is because the consultant is not related to corporate culture and / or internal policy of the client company, does not depend on the company's manager, which means that the information underlying the consultancy service is more objective.
- New ideas. Consultants come with their ideas, as a result of working in other companies and industries. They accumulate ideas, knowledge and examples of effective solutions from multiple sources.Employees, who often have professional experience only in a company or industry, can usually be too "bound" to the problem to find new solutions.
- Rich methodological background. Due to the experience and the accumulated knowledge, the consultants have a rich methodological basis that offers them a systemic approach to customer problems.